Immigration to Botswana
Botswana is not only a beautiful country, but offers expats and immigrants the liberty to work and live within the country. Many tourists are attracted to the destination and in order to control mass influx of people, Botswana, as with every other country, implements the use of official permits and visas to help assist foreigners and government to accommodate each other. At Visafrican we specialise in handling all African visas and within this are immigration permits to Botswana.
What permits are granted?
Moving to a different country whether temporary or permanent requires the individual to be financially stable and this, for many, means finding a job in the country. Botswana offers expats a variety of work opportunities with major sectors in natural resources such as mining and tourism. Information technology is another one of the country’s ever growing sectors. The Botswana stock exchange is Africa’s “Number 1”, attraction many foreign individuals and rousing their interest in investing and doing business within the country. Regarding immigration Botswana has tried to formalise the process.
Botswana has 3 types of work visas
• Labour Exemption – Valid for 30 days only – We will assist the individual to apply for labour exception from the department of labour. Once the permission is granted the individual is allowed to stay within the country for no longer than 30 days.
• Project Based Temporary Work Visa – Valid 3 months only – Project based visas will need to be accompanied by proof that project to be undertaken by the individual will not exceed the period of 3 months. With regards to whether the visa can be extended or not is still to be confirmed (Visa option was cancelled in December 2015 and then reinstated in May 2016)
• Long Term Work and Residence Visa – Is a combined visa valid for 1 to 2 years – This permit is reserved exclusively to individuals who are highly qualified and experienced within the job field that they wish to apply for. In order to apply for the visa the applicant needs to include a letter of motivation with the application. Once approval is received the applicant must also apply for residence at the Department of Immigration. Applicants must be present to undergo a biometric fingerprinting procedure. Our partners will be attending when the applicant undergoes the fingerprint procedure. Thereafter, all documentation will be processed and sent to the necessary authorities via our partners.
If the work permits is applied for through our partners, a higher fee, as well as management fee will be charged to cover payment of personal liability and professional indemnity insurance, payroll, payslips, tax as well as social security. Individuals can choose to open a personal bank account within the country or simply continue to use their choice of expat bank facility. If the individual went about the process by themselves and acquired their sponsor through the minister of agriculture for instance, we will still be able to assist with payroll and insurance.
Visafrican offers sponsored employment as a business service into Africa.
• Tourist visas – valid for 90 days and visitors are not allowed to stay in the country for longer than the given period. Countries such as South Africa, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and the Schenegen countries are exempt from obtaining a visa.
• Residency visa
• Student permits
• Accompanying dependants permit
Contact us to get moving on your immigration permit or visa to Botswana.